Individual Health Insurance
They say health is wealth and that could never be too far from the truth. Good health is indeed one’s most precious asset to have and should be protected at all costs.
While our national healthcare and healthcare insurance systems are under a massive overhaul, the value of health insurance cannot be overstated.
Being without health insurance can be a costly affair that may result in delayed treatment and hundreds of thousands of shillings of medical expenses.
This could run you into even bankruptcy, in the event of an accident, a deadly illness, or in the development of a chronic condition. Protect yourself by being an informed health insurance purchaser and buy what fits your needs.
What is individual medical insurance?
Individual medical insurance, as the name implies, is a health insurance cover meant to cover a single individual. In this case, the policyholder is the only insured person in the policy.
Is individual medical insurance for me?
Individual medical cover is ideal for a single unmarried person, or a child that is above 18 years who is no longer in school but still in parents’ care.
How much does it cost?
Mostly how much you pay and how much cover you get from an insurer all depended on one’s specific medical needs. To get the ideal coverage limit, work with us to agree upon the limits them help you purchase a policy.
Cost of individual health insurance premiums will be influenced by the following factors:
- Your age: The older you are, the higher your premiums are likely to get.
- Your health: Certain aspects of your lifestyle, such as smoking or pre-existing cases, are also likely to raise your premium costs.
- Your level of cover: The higher your level of cover, the more you will need to pay for the policy
For example, For a 25 year-old, to get an in-patient of Kshs. 1,000,000 annually they may be required to pay a premium of only Ksh. 18,971 annually and for an out-patient cover of Kshs.50,000 annually a premium of Ks. 17,970.
Once the policy is activated, the insurance company will pay 100% of the covered expenses minus the individual co-pays, NHIF rebate and declared sub-limits for each service or medical case.
Benefits of having an individual health cover;
Individual health insurance can be useful for several reasons:
- You will easily complement NHIF cover limitations such as sub-limits.
- With individual medical health cover, you will have access to a greater range of treatments.
- The cover allows you to choose which location or hospital you want to be treated at.
- You have freedom to choose your own private room or a ward bed when admitted. With NHIF you may not be guaranteed a place in a private hospital or a private room in a government hospital
However, if you do not think you will need these benefits, you may be better off skipping the extra cost and sticking with the NHIF.
What extra policies can I get with individual health insurance?
Depending on the type of policy you take out, you might be able to add any of the following:
- Dental care
- Eye care
- Maternity and pregnancy care
What does individual health insurance cover?
What your individual health insurance policy covers will depend on the level of insurance you take out: there are three major types;
- In-patient only (Mandatory): It is the main policy of a basic individual health insurance policy that covers you for treatment costs and any associated costs involved only when admitted to a hospital.
- Out-patient: It is an optional individual health insurance policy benefit added to the main in-patient policy that covers cost associated with walk-in medical expenses, the outpatient services may include blood tests, scans, and specialist consultations etc.
- Comprehensive In-patient & out-patient: A comprehensive individual health insurance policy that includes all the above, while also covering you for physiotherapy and general wellness checkup.
How can I compare my individual health insurance costs?
If you want to purchase a health insurance policy comparing your options with Bima Hakika and our preferred partners is the best way to find a perfect deal.
All you need to do is engage our happy relationship managers, tell us a little about yourself, your health, and your lifestyle, and we will show you an indicative price for both basic and comprehensive health insurance coverage.
Bima Hakika Wiz:
Before you can buy a policy, you must pay attention to the policy language and terms, we help you do this. This way, you can ensure that the desired coverage is adequate to meet your potential need.
Remember when choosing a deal, the cheapest quote is not always the best.
It is best to aim for a balance between a reasonable price and the right amount of cover depending on your specific needs – this way you can avoid ending up over-insured or under-insured.